Wednesday, January 21, 2009

All good things come to an end

Since August I've been working as a floral designer in a fun, rather ritzy shop. All our work is custom, and we focus on contemporary tropical designs. This is in a newly developed area not far from my home. The scheduled worked perfectly into my family obligations, and the pay was sweet. I was using the income to pay for my daughter's college classes which was most helpful to the family budget.
Unfortunately, with the newness of the business colliding with the current economic climate, yesterday we were told the shop was for sale, and it would be the last day of employment.
I was one of three designers, and we were told we'd be called for special events, i.e. weddings, etc. when the owners could not handle all the design work. We were also asked to work the week of Valentine's Day.
So, here's a post of my most recent designs in the shop. I didn't always have my camera with me, but when I did I took photos of my work to establish a portfolio. I'll miss working, creating, and earning. It was fun while it lasted, and I hope to continue this work when the economy recovers. My dream job would be to work in the White House florist shop, or another in-house design center of that scale. Who knows, when dh retires, maybe I take a job working as the florist of a cruise liner, and design at sea. Ahhh..... dreaming here.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Marilyn - A Mixed Bouquet said...

I'm so sorry that you are losing the income and your creative outlet. Your designs are beautiful.

Designing at sea is a great dream.

Renna said...

You are a woman of so many talents, Dana. No doubt, you will have exciting days ahead as God opens new doors to you.

As you garden this spring, I do hope you'll post lots of pictures of the process. We're talking about squeezing in a raised bed in a small area we do have that gets sunshine, in a mostly shaded backyard. I'm a novice gardener, though.

DebD said...

I'm sorry you lost your job, but your dreaming big made me smile. I hope I can have that kind of attitude after getting laid off!